Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Consequence of Even a Small Data Breach

We often discuss with our clients the substantial increase recently in the cost of experiencing a breach of data. One aspect that isn't often considered in that increase is the new power of social media in our world. I experienced this recently when I was scheduled meet with a medical practice administrator and was unsure of this clinics location. Not to worry with the power of maps and Google on my I-Phone I'm a direction genius. (Never again can my wife make me ask for directions!) A couple key clicks later the top link in Google provided the information I needed on Citysearch.

Of course I noticed (as everyone else that Googled this clinic would have) that they were only given 2 out of 5 stars based upon their reviews. Curious as to why one click later I learned they have a very upset patient who shared the gory details of her medical chart that was lost by this clinic and her confidence in the fact that if you work with them they will also lose your information!!

Ouch! One person now has that much power. The story wasn't broadcast on the nightly news, not in the local paper, just where vast majority of new patients would go to find your location.

It's been reported that it costs $200+ per record lost when a breach is experienced. Somehow for this clinic I think that it is substantially higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment